Prepare time: 15 min Cook Time: 15 min Ready in: 30 min
Punugulu / Punukkulu is a Andhra snack and customary street food in Vijayawada and few coastal districts of state. Punugulu may be a deep cooked snack created with rice, urad dal and different spices.they're usually served with peanut chutney known as as palli chutney or coconut chutney.
For making batter:
- 1/2 cup urad dal / మినప్పప్పు
- 1/4 cup rice / బియ్యం
- 2 tbsp very finely chopped onions / తరిగిన ఉల్లిపాయలు
- 2 tbsp very finely chopped green chillies / తరిగిన పచ్చి మిరపకాయలు
- 2 tbsp very finely chopped coriander leaves / తరిగిన కొత్తిమీర ఆకులు
- oil / నూనె for deep frying
- salt - to taste
- a pinch of baking soda / వంట సోడా
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds / జీలకర్ర optional
Preparation of batter:
- First, take abowl or a vessel, add urad dal and rice.
- Wash these them well.
- Soak them in water for 7-8 hours.
- Strain the soaked water.
- Add the soaked ingredients into a grinder.
- Add very littlewater and mix into a fine paste.
- Make a thick batter don’t add more water .
- Ferment the batter for next 7-8 hours or overnight.
For deep frying:
- After fermentation, mix it well.
- Add some salt and baking soda in batter and blend well.
- Add chopped onions , green chillies, chopped coriander leaves and cumin seeds in batter
- Mix all the ingredients properly.
- The batter shouldbe thick enough to make a round dumpling with hands.
- Heat oil in apan for deep frying.
- Take some amount of batter, make tiny dumplings/round balls and drop them in oil.
- Deeply fry them tillgolden brown on all sides on low to medium flame.
- Take them out from the oil and place them on an absorbent paper.Serve them hot with coconut Indian chutney or peanut chutney!!!