This Ulavacharu (Horse gram soup - Kollu rasam) is a South Indian rasam formula with horse gram. You will observe definite strides to make this horse gram soup utilizing an Instant pot and burner pressure cooker in this recipe.
- Horse gram/Ulavalu/Kollu - 1 kg
- Tamarind paste - 3 or 4 tbsp
- Curry leaves
- Salt as required
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Red chili powder - 1 or 2 tbsp
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tbsp
- Oil - 2 tbsp
Washing & Soaking
- Wash horse gram completely 2-3 times.
- pour 3 liters of water and soak for some time.
- keep the soaked water, all things considered, and move the pony gram(with splashed water) into a pressure cooker.
- Keep cooking time ought to be 60 minutes.
- Cover the cooker with the top and cook on high flame until the main whistle comes out.
- Take away the main whistle time from 1 hour and cook the rest of the time on the stew.
- The whistles might blow or may not.so don't stress over the whistles.
- Turn off the flame and delay until the pressure is no more.
Making Tamarind Paste
- Flush tamarind for once.
- pour 1/2 cup of water and bubble until smooth.
- Turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- crush into a paste and keep to the side.
- Remove the top and strain out the water from the horse gram.
- Try not to pound or crush horse gram(and use) to make the sauce thick.
- Take the strained water and keep it aside.
Preparation of Ulavacharu
- Heat oil in a vessel, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, and let them splutter.
- add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, and saute briefly.
- Pour horse gram water, blend well and cook until it decreases to 3/4 Th of the first amount.
- Turn the flame to stew, add turmeric powder, salt, red bean stew powder, tamarind paste, and blend well.
- cook until the sauce thickens and turn off the flame.
- Serve it with rice.